Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Z10
My Carrier: Airtel

ability to notify users to download latest version of an application

Hello All,

is there any way to find out latest version of an applicaiton published on blackberry world.

I found that, 

In IOS, there is a lookup url for our app - http://itunes.apple.com/lookup?id=appid , making an ajax call to this url gives the complete Application data in the form a JSON and can be parsed to get the version number.

In Andriod, there is a play store api , http://playstore-api.herokuapp.com/playstore/apps , adding this with our application id gives a complete JSON back , by which version number can be retrieved easily.

is there any similar way to get complete application details of an app published on blackberry world?

--------
- If a post contains the solution to the problem, please click "Accept as Solution"
- If a post contains helpful content, please give it a "Thumbs Up"

developer.blackberry.com
@BlackBerryDev
Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

Re: ability to notify users to download latest version of an application

There isn't a way to poll BlackBerry World for the latest application version of your installed app; however BlackBerry World does do this management itself. When a new release is available, it will announce that to end-users through the BlackBerry Hub. Whether they take action or not is up to the end-user though.

If you want finer control over in-app functionality when upgrades are available, my understanding is that you will need to implement this yourself, specifically keep the latest version number available somewhere yourself, and check there. There is no BlackBerry World API that would provide this today as far as I am aware.

Erik Oros | @WaterlooErik | eoros@blackberry.com | Developer Issue Tracker

If a reply has answered your question, please click Accept as Solution to help other visitors in the future.