Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

accessing the contact list from a web page

Hi, im new to Blackberry so my question might be in the wrong place, but im looking for a stating point.

Basically i have a web page that is used to make VOIP calls.

i would like to access the Blackberry's contact list from this page when i surf it using balckberrys web browser, so that the user can enter his predefined numbers in the destination call input box.

im assuming this requires  the user to download some kind of a Java plugin that will access the contact list and communicate it back to the webpage.

where do i start ?

Thanks and good to be here.

Buzi.

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

Re: accessing the contact list from a web page

hello, you cannot link any database to the BlackBerry browser, for security issues.
if you really want that, the only way is to develop a Java application for BlackBerry devices, that will have access to your address book, and will be able to invoke the BlackBerry Browser and display a webpage that you create on the device.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Developer

ok, great.

where do i start ? is there a SDK for developing this java app. can i find some examples somewhere on the site ?

im not trying to be lazy, its just im not really familiar with all the options and it might save me some time starting in the wrong place.

thanks

Buzi 

Guru I

top of this page, banner, developers.
there are plenti of resources, including some Hello, World examples and complete documentation.

JDK is available too. good luck.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Developer

thanks
Developer
My Device: BlackBerry Torch 9800
My Carrier: AT&T

There are a whole bunch of sample applications included with the development tools. Plus the guides have a lot of examples.
Retired
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

[ Edited ]

We have been talking both at our Developer Conference last October, as well as at WES this spring about BlackBerry widgets that are coming in BlackBerry OS version 5.0.

This will allow you to build a client application for the BlackBerry entirely written using HTML/CSS/JavaScript.  Widget applications will have access to the device API via JavaScript where you will be able to access, PIM, SD card, invoke other applications, push data, run in the background and more.

You will also be able to create custom JavaScript extensions via Java if there isn't a specific JavaScript API abstraction available that you absolutely need. 

Widgets are distributed in the exact same manner that you can distribute Java applications today, including through App World.  Widgets will allow you to also whitelist external content from your website to be loaded into the context of your widget for execution.  This allows you to create a mashup of local and server based content. 

More about this technology will be revealed on the developer zone in the upcoming weeks. 

Message Edited by tneil on 07-29-2009 10:42 PM
Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
Guru I

tneil wrote:

More about this technology will be revealed on the developer zone in the upcoming weeks. 

Hello tneil,

In which developer zone will that be revealed ? I am not interested in making a java app (too much work for me), but am very interested in working with javascript for small apps.

Retired
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Information will be posted at http://www.blackberry.com/developer
Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
Guru I

tneil wrote:
Information will be posted at http://www.blackberry.com/developer
hello tneil,

thank you for your answer. Unfortunately, that webpage has no RSS feed. I hope I'll catch the info when it's available somewhere in the BTSC RSS feed.