Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

beginner question: how merely to see a web page in the 9500 simulator

HI folks --

Sorry for this newb question. I'm running under XP sp3; I use vs2008 for development.

I downloaded and installed the 9500 simulator last night. As an inexpert amateur, I found that:

1. It took forever -- like half an hour -- to load the simulator for the first time. Is this usual in the simulator environment?

2. Three instances of the application fledge.exe (I think that was the name) were running, and together they took 100% of the machine. Is this what you'd expect?

3. The first thing I did was try to load a web page, naturally. I expected the page to load over the cabled web. Instead, the simulator took ten minutes to fail and to tell me that no wireless connection was available. Hard to believe I really need a wireless connection to run the simulator, but is it so?

I'm doing web development and the Blackberry is a target machine, of course, and the first handheld target for me. My experience last night surprised and dismayed me. Please tell me I did exactly the three /wrong/ things, and then tell me what the /right/ things are.

Thanks a lot, everyone.

-- ben   

Retired
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: beginner question: how merely to see a web page in the 9500 simulator

Hi Ben,

I'm not sure why there were 3 instances of Fledge running.  That would likely be why it was taking so long.  To get connectivity from the simulator you must have an MDS Simulator running.  The MDS acts like a proxy for communications with the simulator.  You can download this MDS simulator from the drop-down list where you downloaded the smartphone simulator.

Steps look like this:

1) run the MDS and Simulator

2) run the Smartphone simulator  

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter