Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

My Device: blackberry bold 9650
My Carrier: blackberry

difference between mobile application and web application

Hi,

Today i m going to start learning app development in BB.

I just have some question that i want to clear before starting my development.

1.what is the difference between webapplication and mobile application.I know the differnece but my basic question is

why and when we create a web application for mobile and what are the pros and cons.

If i have to create a busniss application then which is best(for example: i got a mail to approve my employee request and i have to approve and disapprove it).

what my understanding about these two is.

1. we can develop same application both on web and mobile application.

2.to access web application we must ahve internet connection but this is not mandatory in mobile app(depends on what type of application).

kIndly answer my question.

Thanks,

sudhanhsu

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: difference between mobile application and web application

i could be way off, but i believe (in my opinion) a web application just refers to building an app with web technologies.  that is a subset of a mobile application (which can be build natively with the device via C++, or through other technologies such as Java or Adobe Flash).  web applications are built on HTML5 + CSS + Javascript.  this is helpful for me because for the most part i can build and test my app in a google chrome browser - not necessarily that i want it to be an app out on the web.  then, i bundle the app with the sdk and submit.

i have never done native or flash programming, so i can't speak to those.  i enjoy the easy of web app building, and the flexibility of being able to hit multiple platforms with little changes.  Nokia/Windows and Android have web widgets that allow you to have a web app run on their system.  HP webOS also utilizes the web app builds directly like BlackBerry's WebWorks.

hope that helps.