Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Highlighted
New Developer
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

_doPostback(), calender and dropdown control is not working on blackberry : Does RIM support that?

Hi All,

I am developing the mobile site in ASP.NET 2.0 which should work on the most common browsers includes blackberry.

but javascript fuction  _doPostback(); is not working  , also dropdown selectedIndexChange event is also not working.

dropdown and calender control internally uses  _doPostback().

does RIM support that? if not then what is the alternative for the dropdown( i have many on my pages).

Please , give me feedback whether RIM supports _doPostback(); or not.

Thanks in advance.

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV
My Carrier: Bell

Re: _doPostback(), calendar and dropdown control is not working on blackberry : Does RIM support tha

Please verify that JavaScript is enabled in the BlackBerry Browser.  To do so launch the browser, select Options from the menu, then Browser Configuration and verify that Support JavaScript is enabled.  Note that JavaScript support varies between versions of the browser.

What BlackBerry model and handheld software version are you testing on?  You can find this under Options, About on the BlackBerry handheld. 

I also recommend having a look at the BlackBerry Browser - JavaScript Reference found here:  http://na.blackberry.com/eng/support/docs/subcategories/?userType=21&category=BlackBerry+Browser

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
New Developer

Re: _doPostback(), calendar and dropdown control is not working on blackberry : Does RIM support tha

Thanks for the reply and ref. link .

I have already enabled the javascript ,most of the javascript functionis working properly.

but selectedindexchange event on the server side of the dropdown is not working(ASP.net). I think it's common case. there must be some solution to overcome on this problem.

I have checked other sites, In no site   selectedindexchange event is getting fired.(e.g. google news)

plz , provide me solution if there is any. right now, i have put command button next to  dropdown to fire the event.

but in my application i hv numbers of such cases so design and flow of the application is not so good.

Developer

Can you provide a sample of the generated code (the HTML/Javascript with the dropdown and button)?
New Developer

[ Edited ]

Hello rohanvartak,

perhaps you have to define that the BlackBerry browser supports JavaScript in a .browser file or in the BrowserCaps section of the web.config of your application. The standard configuration of the .NET Framework on you server might not have defined that BlackBerry smartphones support JavaScript.

Please check first if the ECMAScript version is greater or equal to 1.0 and post the result here.

Message Edited by ttklf4 on 01-06-2009 04:41 PM
Message Edited by ttklf4 on 01-07-2009 01:41 PM
New Developer

Hi, thanks for the help.

but could not able to access the link saying that "you are authorised to view this page".

I am using the blackberry 9530 simulator  for the testing.

Also, I have also added the blackberry.browser file  and compiled successfully, still .NET not recognised the blackberry simulator using the following article

http://www.codeproject.com/KB/aspnet/BlackberryASPNET.aspx

but does not see any effect as it is not detecting blackberry simulator

for the browser capabilities

it is saying

browser : unknown

ecma :0.0

ismobiledevice : false

useragent  : blackberry9500/4.7.0.41 profile/midp-2.0 configuration/cldc- 1.1vendorid/-1

if u have any such browser file for the blackberry simulator plz, email me so that i can try on that.

New Developer

hi stacktrace,

here is the html snap

<div class="Frm">
        <label>Category : </label>
            <select class="DrpDwnBx85" tabindex="4" id="drpCategory" onchange="javascript&colonsetTimeout('__doPostBack(\'drpCategory\',\'\')', 0)" name="drpCategory">
    <option value="0" selected="selected">Select</option>
    <option value="17">MCE87 - MCE87</option>
    <option value="101">0500 - Hotels</option>
    <option value="108">expnew - tcn</option>
    <option value="111">Test - TXN</option>
    <option value="147">EXCS - Expenses</option>
    <option value="180">Exp-01 - Expense Category</option>

</select>
            </div>

the onchange event is not firing.

New Developer

Please add the following code to your Web.config under <system.web>:

<browserCaps>
<filter>
<case match="BlackBerry9500/4.7.0.41 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/-1">
EcmaScriptVersion = 1.5
</case>
</filter>
</browserCaps>

New Developer

great! it's working fine now.

thanks all for posting.

Developer
My Device: Z10, PlayBook
My Carrier: NA

Wow... what an obscure thing to have to do to get a simple ASP.NET application working. Thanks so much for posting this -- I was pulling my hair out. I used the following for my Bold:

<browserCaps>
<filter>
<case match="BlackBerry9000">EcmaScriptVersion = 1.5</case>
</filter>
</browserCaps>