Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

for a list of

I am looking for a list of devices that support javascript in order to account whether or not to use client side javascripts in our application. We are targetting devices running 4.6 and above... Also need to know if javascript is turned on by default on at least the newer models.

Thank you!

My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9900
My Carrier: Bell

Re: for a list of

HI Xoail, thanks for your interest in BlackBerry Web development.

To answer your question, all devices since version 3.8 of the handheld software have had at least some level of support for JavaScript.  A major evolution in the browser rendering engine was introduced in 4.6, including significant JavaScript improvements.

For a description of all markup / scripting supported by device software v4.6 please see the chapter titled  "BlackBerry Browser content support" in the following document: http://docs.blackberry.com/en/developers/deliverables/4256/BlackBerry_Browser-4.6-US.pdf

As you will see, version 4.6 of the device software introduced full support for JavaScript 1.5 and the XmlHttpRequest object, as well as DOM L2.

JavaScript is enabled by default in the browser application starting in v5.0 of the handheld software.  All devices running an earlier version of the handheld software will have this feature disabled by default.

Follow me on Twitter: @n_adam_stanley
Your app doesn't work? Use BlackBerry remote web inspector to find out why.