Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Z10
My Carrier: bell

getting a pptx from the web

I put in a valid pptx reference on my browser. My intent was to download it as a file. The browser stripped all the slashes and protocol pieces and took the string as a search. The same http string would have resulted in a download in Chrome or IE. If I use pdf, the download occurs and I am asked if I want to save the file on the device.

Since there is a PowerPoint viewer on the device (Z10), this would be useful. I guess I will have to copy the file from the computer.

New Contributor

Re: getting a pptx from the web

I was able to do this by sending the link to myself via email. I think it was just too difficult to type into the browser and once I made a mistake it was not possible to get out of the bing search or even grab (via copy) the text to fix it.  I think this might be a bug - but maybe a bing bug.

But the download works fine from a link in email

Highlighted
Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9900
My Carrier: Bell

That is not the expected behavior.  T

What I suspect is happening is the server hosing the PPTX is not sending the correct MIME type for your document.  You can confirm this using remote web inspector:

1. Open the page in the BlackBerry Browser.
  2. Connect to remote web inspector
  3. Look in the Network panel
  4. From the BlackBerry browser, click on your PPTX document
  5. From the Network panel in web inspector, click on the HTTP request made for the PPTX doc
  6. Inspect the response headers and/or reponse object. iT should show you the 'Content-Type' header.

The MIME type for PPTX should be 

application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.presentationml.presentation

If you are not seeing this, then the browser may not know how to handle this content type and try to open it like a text file.

Are you the owner of the web server?  If so, you can troubleshoot this problem by setting up the correct MIME type in the server settings.

Follow me on Twitter: @n_adam_stanley
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your app doesn't work? Use BlackBerry remote web inspector to find out why.
New Contributor

thanks for the info - I am retired as a software engineer but I still appreciate being able to understand that some of you out there are not and you really know what might be going on.