Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: BlackBerry 9700 Bold
My Carrier: Turkcell

jQueryMobile in BlackBerry OS 5 Browser

Sample Code - jQuery Mobile Application

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Web-and-WebWorks-Development/Sample-Code-jQuery-Mobile-Applic...

runs well in Ripple (Bold 9700 OS 6 simulator - Webkit browser), but does not work in my Bold 9700 OS 5 device. It looks like that only pure HTML is displayed, no CSS or no JS functionality. There is no header, footer, navbar, buttons etc, only standard links, list items (li), chechkboxes, etc. and text.

Am I doing something wrong or shall I conclude that jQuery Mobile is not supported in OS 5 devices?

Thanks in advance

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9900
My Carrier: Bell

Re: jQueryMobile in BlackBerry OS 5 Browser

>> shall I conclude that jQuery Mobile is not supported in OS 5 devices

I think its fair to say that you will encounter an number of issues if using jQuery on OS 5.

Unfortunately - Ripple does not currently disseminated between a WebKit browser and non-WebKit browser.  OS 5 and lower used a MIDP-based browser, and therefore supported fewer Web standards than BB6 +.  This is the reason why it appears to work fine in Ripple emulating the OS 5 device, but not on an actual OS 5 device.

Follow me on Twitter: @n_adam_stanley
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your app doesn't work? Use BlackBerry remote web inspector to find out why.
Developer
My Device: BlackBerry 9700 Bold
My Carrier: Turkcell

Thank you. Just to correct a simple misunderstanding: I tried the application in Ripple 9700 OS 6 simulator, not in OS 5.

I tried a very simple jQuery Mobile app that had the JS and CSS files bundled instead of hosted and it worked. I will make some more tests, but probably will target only OS 6+ devices.

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Vodafone

OS 5 with jquery is indeed ambitious!