Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Contributor
My Device: BB10
My Carrier: Bell

open external pdf file

Hi All,

I'm trying to make my app open external websites that may include a pdf/doc file.  I am currently using the child web view.  Normal html website is working fine in the child web view.  However, when I try viewing external pdf file, the web view window just shows blank.

I'm wondering if anyone has a fix or work around for something like this. I've read into invoke card, but I don't believe it can invoke pdf view of external file.

Any help would be much appreciated.  Thanks.

Retired
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: Virgin

Re: open external pdf file

I'm not sure what you mean by blank? Is the pdf embedded in the webpage itself through some kind of plugin?

You are correct you cannot invoke the PDF Card externally, though if you download it you can open the card easily using a normal invocation request.

@erikjohnzon
erjohnson@blackberry.com
Contributor
My Device: BB10
My Carrier: Bell

Thanks for your prompt response.

The pdf is not embedded but exist as an individual file. eg. http://www.abc.com/xyz.pdf

The app has a search functionality for searching external sites.  I would like to open the search results inside the app, so I used the target tag to allow for child viewer (open a window showing the external site inside the app).  If the external site is an html page, it shows fine inside the child viewer window (although a little slow to render).  But if the external link is a pdf file, the child viewer window pops up but there is nothing displayed, no prompt to download the pdf file, just an empty window with the close button on the top left corner.

Not sure if any way around this.

Retired

Okay great, so you are settingn this as the URL, I'll see what I can find. Give me a couple hours.

@erikjohnzon
erjohnson@blackberry.com
Highlighted
Retired

Yes this looks like a bug on our side, it should probably prompt you to download it. In the meantime I would suggest that you save the pdf's in your local file and use the invoke framework.

@erikjohnzon
erjohnson@blackberry.com