Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

playing audio in the browser

Hi

Does anyone know if there is a way to play back mp3 files in the browser without opening the

external media player application? I found no support for embed tag in the HTML specification

so I wonder if there is any other way or a hidden plugin for the browser which could play

back mp3 files "inside" the browser e.g. when you click on a link or button.

thanks for your help

joco

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

Re: playing audio in the browser

you can't.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Developer

Actually I have the same question. I try to embed an audio file in the xHTML page so user can play the audio without invoking the device audio player. I downloaded Sony's Music Box in App World. It's a WAP application where user can preview the audio on the browser without invoking the device's player. Anyone know how they can do that?
Retired
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

perhaps they are using the <object> tags to embed the player?  I do know that the <embed> tag is not supported as it has been dropped from the HTML spec.
Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
New Developer

Not very sure what they are using. tneil, do you know how to see the wap page source?

I embed the following tags on the xHTML page. A IE browser can play the tone, but the browser on a blackberry handset doesn't play it and doesn't show anything. Do you know what classid shall I use in the object tag?

<object id="player" classid="CLSID:6BF52A52-394A-11d3-B153-00C04F79FAA6">
  <param name="URL" value="ringtone1.mid"/>
  <param name="autoStart" value="false"/>
</object>

Highlighted
Developer

[ Edited ]

If you are still wondering, a related solved thread showing how to use <object> tag,

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=browser_dev&message.id=1628&query.id=...

(And screenshots showing <embed> is not supported: http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=java_dev&message.id=53539&query.id=41...)

Message Edited by cagdasgerede on 08-07-2009 08:35 AM