Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

rendering differences between Nextel and Sprint BlackBerrys

I have a style sheet that sets my styles for BlackBerrys and the rendering is singificantly different between Nextel and Sprint BlackBerry browsers.  On the Sprint phone everything looks good.  On the Nextel phone, the rendering causes some of the elements to be on top of one another even though I am using relative positioning.  For instance when displaying a form textbox and label, I have the following 2 styles:

.fieldlabel1

{display:block; float:left;width:10em; margin-right:0em; padding:0em; text-align:left; font-weight:bold; }

.fieldtextbox1

{background-color:#FFFF99; max-width:3.2em;}

This would be used as follows:

<label>
  <span class="fieldlabel1">Date</span>
  <input class="fieldtextbox1" id="xyz" maxlength="6" name="xyz1" size="9" type="text" value="11-04-2009" />
</label>

Why would the different browsers render the same page differently.?

The Nextel version is a BlackBerry 8350i with Smartphone version 4.6.1.83.  The Sprint is a BlackBerry 8330 with Smartphone version 4.3.0.127.  The page is not publicly accessible so I can't post a url.

TIA,

Steve Shier

Retired
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: rendering differences between Nextel and Sprint BlackBerrys

The difference is in the Device Software.  The 4.6 device software has a far more advanced Browser than the 4.3 version.

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
New Developer

Thank you Tim. So the older 4.3 version is rendering correctly while the 4.6 is not. 

The redendering in current IE (v8) and Firefox (v3) browsers on desktops is also correct and these are the most current browsers out there with the most current stylesheet rendering. It's only the 4.6 that has the problem but unfortunately most of our users will be on this version.  I am wondering what in its treatment of stylesheets would be causing this.

Is there somewhere where we can see a list of advancements for versions 4.6 so we can determine what's wrong?  I have also viewed these in the simulator correctly under various versions including 8310, 8800 (uses v4.5.0.71).  Will the simulator render similar to a real device?  If so then we have correct rendering in v4.5 but not 4.6 or could it be something else other than the version?

Steve

Retired
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

The documentation at the URL provided below should show you what is and isn't supported from OS version to version

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/developers/subcategories/?userType=21&category=BlackBerry+Browser

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
Highlighted
New Developer

Thanks Tim. I will check it out.

Steve