Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Welcome & Introductions

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

BlackBerry Virgin with heaps of questions!

Hi all,

As the subject has suggested, I am a BlackBerry 'virgin' aka newbie. I have been using Windows Mobile for the past 8 years now and have been happy until Window Mobile 6.1 came and spoilt everything! I heard great things of BlackBerry and thought I give it a shot. However I am unable to migrate from WM environment to BlackBerrys successfully. It seems very different from WM and in some ways, complicated. I joined this forum hoping that YOU (BlackBerry guru!) will be able to help with my most basic of questions. So please bear with my dumbest of questions!

I bought a BlackBerry Tour from my cousin in the States whom has obtain the mobile from Sprinter. It must be a service provider in the States. Oh! I'm in Sydney by the way. I have inserted the SIM card and set the network from CDMA to GSM (Australia uses GSM & 3G network). I am able to send/receive text messages and receive and make calls as usual. However on the home screen it say 'Activation Required'.

I have googled online about what activation it talking about. I found out that activation is found in Options > Advanced Options > Enterprise Activation. 

Q1. Where can I find the activation password? Is it somewhere on the guide or box? And which email address is it asking for? 

Q2. What is Enterprise Activation used for?  Must it be activated before I can use the fantastic email and IM functionality BlackBerry offer?

Q3. Why is there no web browser on my Tour? When I try to access any webpage on th mobile, it shows a warning stating the devices does not have any Browser Configuration Service Book Entries. Any idea? Is it regarding the Entreprise activation?

Q4. Can I sync the Contacts from my computer Outlook 2007 onto my BlackBerry? Is there a software I need to use for this scenarios?

Q5. When I'm in Options > Advanced Options > Maps, it states that Default service is none. I checked the GPS setting and they are all turned on. Am I missing the files for the Australia map? Is there 1 available for download?

Q6. How do I sync my BlackBerry with my computer? How do I transfer files from Blackberry unit to the computer? Is there any software to do that?

Q7. How do I setup BlackBerry Messenger? Is this services free and only use data charges? Oh! By the way, my mobile plan with the service provider is a 3G SIM card and a small data pack (10mb per month).

There are many more other questions I want to ask (such as what file format does BlackBerry uses, how to set MP3 as ringtones, how to download applications and the list just goes on and on!) but it's nearly 2am in Sydney now. Need to grab some Zzz power soon. 

I hope I did not ask too many silly questions and hope that someone will be able to help this newbie out!

Thank you for your time,

JohnnieIII

My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: BlackBerry Virgin with heaps of questions!

Welcome to the Forums.

1. Dial # # 000000 (Send). In the Menu add your phone number and select save. The device will reboot and activate.

2. Enterprise, for corporate devices running BlackBerry Enterprise Service. 

For a personal user, you really don't need that, you need the simple BIS, BlackBerry Internet Service. You will need to subscribe to THE BlackBerry Data Plan from your mobile provider. That is is the only way to get the BlackBerry services such as RIM push email, BlackBerry Messenger, and many of the other data functions of the BlackBerry enabled, etc.

3.  You don't the BlackBerry Data Plan on your mobile provider account, yet. You need to call your carrier.

4. Absolutely. You will Desktop Manager as the sync agent between your BlackBerry device and your Outlook on your PC.

Download Desktop Manager from here:
https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads/entry.do?code=A8BAA56554F96369AB93E4F3BB068C22

5. You need the Data Plan... BlackBerry Maps won't function without it. BlackBerry Maps is a function of the BIS service, and will push the proper service books.

6. Refer to Q4.  Other files, like media files, pictures, music, etc.?

http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/How_do_I_add_media_files_to_my_microSD_card%3F

and use the BlackBerry Media Sync software on your PC.

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/services/media/mediasync.jsp

7. See Q2. BlackBerry Messenger is a function of the BlackBerry Data Plan. A generic plan will not work.

Good luck.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Forums Veteran III
My Device: Classic 10.3.2.798 OS + Playbook 64Gb

Hi and welcome to the forums! Smiley Happy

A couple of places for you to visit (in additions to JSanders reply):  Blackberry 101   Tips & Tricks

Happy to have you here! Smiley Very Happy  And keep coming back.
IrwinII
Please remember to "Accept as Solution" the post which solved your thread. If I or someone else have helped you, please tell us you "Like" what we had to say at the bottom right of the post.

The pass word will be your phone number your pin or a series of 000000's
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

[ Edited ]

CocoChef wrote:
The pass word will be your phone number your pin or a series of 000000's

eh, really? 

The password for what?

On a BlackBerry, the only thing that has a 'set' or standard password is Bluetooth connections, which is often 0000 or 00000.

Message Edited by JSanders on 09-28-2009 09:56 AM

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Forums Veteran I
My Device: 8900

Welcome to the forums!!!

If someone helped you give them kudos. Research all info!
Elite I
My Device: STORM 9550 Verizon <><

WelcSmiley Happyme to the cSmiley Happymmunity suppSmiley Happyrt fSmiley Happyrums Johnnie!

jsanders is awesome and has done an excellent job covering your questions!! Glad you found the forums!  

Smiley Happy Smiley Happy Nurse-Berry Smiley Happy Smiley Happy

Hi JSanders,

Thanks you so much for your indepth answer to my post!

I have contacted my mobile service provider regarding the BlackBerry plan they offer. I hope to be connected to BIS soon!

I have some questions regarding your reply above.How do I activate my Blackberry? Do I still need to activate my Blackberry if I am not going use Enterprise Services?

When I tried what you have suggested ##000000 then Send, I got an error message on the phone. It reads invalid password.Also I notices whenever I make a call, my number is display on the screen. However the display number isn't my mobile number! Its like  000 000 8960.That is definitely not an Australia mobile number? 

I have also tried to wipe handheld option in the General Settings area hoping that it will send the Activation password. It did nothing. Robot Sad

Suggestion please! Robot Happy

Thank you,

Johnnie

P.S: How to I add kudos ? I click on it but nothing happens.

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry DTEK60, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Hi and welcome to the forums. Smiley Very Happy

Enjoy your stay with us!

See you around.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Elite II
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: grameenphone

Hi and Welcome to BlackBerry Suport Community.

tanzim                                                                                  
If your query is resolved then please click on Accept as Solution

Click on the LIKE on the bottom right if the post deserves credit