This article applies to the following:
- BlackBerry® Java® Development Environment (BlackBerry JDE) 5.0 or later
- BlackBerry® JDE Plug-in for Eclipse® 1.0 or later
- BlackBerry Device Software 5.0 and higher
The networking API introduced in 5.0 are designed to simplify the establishment of connections over the different transports available on the BlackBerry device by abstracting away the details of parsing services records and constructing proper URLs for the Connector.open().
What is new as part of 6.0 Networking APIs
- Listens for changes in transport coverage
- Retrieves the transport types with sufficient coverage
- Datagram Protocol
- Calls to the getConnection() method in the ConnectionFactory class now accept “udp”//” and “datagram://” URLs note: This feature only supports unicast
- isDefaultAPNset() determines if the Default APN is set in the configured device TCP options by user
With the new enhancements in 6.0 Network API, the BlackBerry device can notify an application of changes in transport coverage. Changes in coverage have several sources, including the addition or deletion of service books, radio signal strength, transport specific communication requirements, and others. You can now register a method to receive notifications of changes in coverage status using TransportInfo.addListener(). The method you register must implement the CoverageStatusListener interface, located in the
Also new to 6.0 Network API you can you can take advantage of the UDP protocol and make a call to getConnection() method in the net.rim.device.api.io.transport.ConnectionFactory class now accept "udp://" and "datagram://" URLs.
In the past the challenge that many developers encountered when using the TCP Cellular transport is determining if the user has configured their device TCP options. As part of 6.0 Network API, developers can now use isDefaultAPNSet() method in the
Please refer to the net.rim.device.api.io.transport package for more information on the implementation of the Network Transport API. A sample application using the new Network API can be found in the JDE 6.0 installation samples directory(C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry JDE 6.0.0\samples\com\rim\samples\device\networkapidem